As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Chicken Divan with curry is a classic dish made with juicy chicken, tender broccoli, and a creamy cheesy sauce, giving it a personal touch. It is a delicious and easy-to-make recipe that can be enjoyed by the whole family.
The dish gets its name from the Divan Parisien Restaurant in New York City, where it was the signature dish in the early 20th century. The combination of curry and lemon juice adds a unique and flavorful twist to the traditional Chicken Divan recipe.
With its creamy texture and satisfying flavors, Chicken Divan with curry is sure to be a crowd-pleaser.
What Is Chicken Divan?
Chicken Divan with curry is a classic dish that combines juicy chicken and tender broccoli in a creamy cheesy sauce. It’s a flavorful twist on the traditional Chicken Divan recipe that adds a touch of curry for an extra kick of flavor.
Enjoy this easy and delicious dish for a satisfying meal.
Explanation Of Chicken Divan As A Chicken Casserole Dish
Chicken Divan is a classic chicken casserole dish that is beloved for its comforting flavors and creamy texture. It typically consists of juicy chicken, tender broccoli, and a rich, cheesy sauce. The dish is often seasoned with curry powder, which adds a delightful hint of warmth and complexity to the flavors. Chicken Divan is a versatile dish that can be customized to one’s preferences, making it suitable for a variety of taste preferences.
Mention Of The Traditional Serving With Broccoli And Mornay Sauce
Traditionally, Chicken Divan is served with broccoli and Mornay sauce. The combination of the tender chicken, fresh broccoli, and creamy Mornay sauce creates a harmonious balance of flavors. The broccoli provides a crisp and vibrant element to the dish, while the Mornay sauce, made from a combination of cheese, cream, and seasonings, adds a luscious and velvety texture to the overall dish. This classic pairing elevates the taste and presentation of Chicken Divan, making it a timeless favorite.
Brief History Of The Dish’s Origin At The Divan Parisien Restaurant In Nyc
Chicken Divan has its origins at the famed Divan Parisien Restaurant, located in the Chatham Hotel in New York City. During the early twentieth century, Chicken Divan was introduced as the restaurant’s signature dish and quickly gained popularity among diners. Its sumptuous combination of tender chicken, fresh broccoli, and flavorful sauce made it a standout choice on the menu. Since then, the dish has become a beloved classic that continues to be enjoyed by people worldwide.
Incorporating Curry Into Chicken Divan
Chicken Divan is a classic dish known for its creamy cheesy sauce and tender broccoli. However, have you ever considered adding a hint of curry to this beloved recipe? Incorporating curry into Chicken Divan can take this dish to a whole new level of flavor and excitement. In this section, we will explore the benefits of adding curry to the dish, how it enhances the flavor and adds a subtle spice, and the importance of choosing the right curry powder and amount to use.
Benefits Of Adding Curry To The Dish
When it comes to adding curry to Chicken Divan, there are numerous benefits to enjoy. Let’s take a look at some of them:
- Enhanced flavor: Curry brings depth and complexity to the dish, elevating the overall taste.
- Aromatic delight: The addition of curry creates a tantalizing aroma that will entice your senses.
- Nutritional boost: Curry powder contains various spices that are rich in antioxidants and have potential health benefits.
How Curry Enhances The Flavor And Adds A Subtle Spice
Curry is known for its ability to add a burst of flavor to any dish, and when incorporated into Chicken Divan, it does just that! It adds a unique and savory taste that pairs perfectly with the creamy sauce and tender chicken. The subtle spice from the curry powder creates a pleasant warmth without overpowering the other ingredients. It strikes the perfect balance, making each bite a delightful experience.
Importance Of Choosing The Right Curry Powder And Amount To Use
Choosing the right curry powder is crucial in achieving the desired flavor profile. There are various types of curry powders available, each with its own distinctive blend of spices. It is essential to select a curry powder that complements the other flavors in Chicken Divan. A mild curry powder works well for those who prefer a subtle note, while a medium or hot curry powder can add a bit more kick.
Furthermore, the amount of curry powder used is also important. Too little, and the flavor may be lost amidst the other ingredients. Too much, and it may overpower the dish. It’s best to start with a small amount and gradually add more, tasting as you go, until the desired level of spiciness is achieved. Remember, everyone’s taste preferences vary, so adjust the amount of curry powder according to your liking.
Incorporating curry into Chicken Divan allows you to explore new flavors while still enjoying the classic elements of this beloved dish. Don’t be afraid to experiment and make it your own. Your taste buds will thank you!
Chicken Divan With Curry Recipe
Chicken Divan with curry is a classic dish with a personal touch. It is made with juicy chicken and tender broccoli in a creamy cheesy sauce. Dive into the flavors of this delicious and comforting casserole that will leave your taste buds wanting more.
List Of Ingredients Required For The Dish
|2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded
|2 cups broccoli florets
|1 cup mayonnaise
|1 cup sour cream
|2 teaspoons curry powder
|1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
|1 cup crushed Ritz crackers
|2 tablespoons melted butter
Step-by-step Instructions On How To Prepare The Recipe
Chicken breast preparation
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C) and grease a baking dish.
- Cook the chicken breast until fully cooked, then shred it using forks into bite-sized pieces.
Sauce preparation with curry powder
- In a medium bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, sour cream, and curry powder until well combined.
- Add the shredded chicken to the sauce and mix until evenly coated.
Assembly and baking of the dish
- Spread the broccoli florets evenly on the bottom of the greased baking dish.
- Pour the chicken and sauce mixture over the broccoli, spreading it out to cover the florets.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheddar cheese on top of the chicken and sauce mixture.
- In a small bowl, mix together the crushed Ritz crackers and melted butter.
- Sprinkle the cracker mixture over the cheese layer.
- Bake the dish in the preheated oven for about 30 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and bubbly.
Additional Tips And Suggestions For Customization
- Feel free to customize this dish by adding other vegetables like carrots or mushrooms.
- For a spicier kick, add a pinch of cayenne pepper to the sauce mixture.
- Instead of Ritz crackers, you can use breadcrumbs or crushed cornflakes for the topping.
- Serve the Chicken Divan with curry alongside steamed rice or crusty bread for a complete meal.
Enjoy the savory flavors and comforting textures of this Chicken Divan with curry recipe. With its creamy sauce, tender chicken, and perfectly cooked broccoli, this dish is sure to become a family favorite. Don’t forget to customize it to your liking and explore different variations to make it your own.
Variations Of Chicken Divan With Curry
Chicken Divan with curry is a classic dish that combines the rich flavors of creamy sauce, tender broccoli, and juicy chicken. While the traditional recipe is delicious on its own, there are several variations that you can try to add your own personal touch or cater to specific dietary preferences. Whether you want to add or substitute ingredients, customize the dish based on dietary needs, or try unique twists and modifications, here are some ideas to elevate your Chicken Divan with curry to the next level.
Mention Of Optional Ingredients To Add Or Substitute In The Recipe
If you want to experiment with flavors and textures, there are several optional ingredients that you can add or substitute in your Chicken Divan with curry recipe. Here are some ideas:
- Vegetables: Instead of using just broccoli, you can add other vegetables like cauliflower, peas, or carrots for extra color and nutrition.
- Protein: Swap the chicken breast with cooked turkey, shredded rotisserie chicken, or even tofu to make it vegetarian-friendly.
- Cheese: Change the type of cheese used in the recipe. For a tangy twist, try using sharp cheddar or Gruyere cheese instead of the traditional cheddar.
Ideas For Customizing The Dish Based On Dietary Preferences
If you have specific dietary preferences or restrictions, you can easily customize the Chicken Divan with curry recipe to suit your needs. Here are some ideas:
- Gluten-free: Replace regular breadcrumbs with gluten-free breadcrumbs or crushed gluten-free crackers to make the dish suitable for those with gluten intolerance.
- Dairy-free: Substitute the dairy ingredients like sour cream or mayonnaise with non-dairy alternatives such as coconut milk yogurt or vegan mayonnaise for a dairy-free version.
- Low-carb: Instead of using the traditional rice or pasta, serve the Chicken Divan with curry over cauliflower rice or zucchini noodles for a low-carb option.
Highlighting Unique Twists And Modifications To Try
If you’re looking to make your Chicken Divan with curry stand out, here are some unique twists and modifications to consider:
- Spices: Experiment with different spices to elevate the flavor profile of the dish. Try adding a pinch of cayenne pepper for a spicy kick or a dash of turmeric for an earthy undertone.
- Herbs: Fresh herbs like basil, parsley, or cilantro can add a burst of freshness to the dish. Chop them finely and sprinkle over the Chicken Divan with curry before serving.
- Toppings: Enhance the texture and visual appeal of the dish by adding crunchy toppings like toasted almonds, breadcrumbs, or even crushed potato chips before baking.
By adding optional ingredients, customizing the dish based on dietary preferences, or trying unique twists and modifications, you can turn a classic Chicken Divan with curry into a personalized and unforgettable culinary experience.
Frequently Asked Questions For Chicken Divan With Curry
Why Is It Called Chicken Divan?
Chicken Divan is named after the place of its invention, the Divan Parisien Restaurant at Chatham Hotel in New York City. It is a chicken casserole served with broccoli and Mornay sauce.
Can You Make Chicken Divan Without Broccoli?
Yes, you can make chicken divan without broccoli.
How Much Curry Powder To Use?
The amount of curry powder to use in chicken divan can vary depending on personal preference. Start with 1 teaspoon and adjust to taste.
What Is The History Behind The Name “chicken Divan”?
Chicken Divan is a chicken casserole named after the Divan Parisien Restaurant in New York City, where it was served as their signature dish in the early 20th century. It is typically made with chicken, broccoli, and Mornay sauce.
Invented at the iconic Divan Parisien Restaurant, Chicken Divan with Curry is a classic dish that adds a flavorful twist. This delightful combination of juicy chicken, tender broccoli, and creamy cheesy sauce is a sure hit. Whether you’re a curry lover or just looking to try something new, this dish is a must-try.
Enjoy the East-meets-West flavors and indulge in a dish that is both comforting and delicious. Give it a try and watch it become a family favorite in no time.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases