As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Buffalo Shrimp Recipe is a delicious and spicy dish made with succulent shrimp that are twice-coated in seasoned flour and deep-fried, then coated in an extremely spicy butter sauce. It is perfect for those who crave heat and can be made easily at home.
Homemade buffalo sauce adds extra flavor to these crispy shrimp. This recipe requires just a few ingredients and is incredibly flavorful. Whether you’re a fan of bar food or looking to try something new, this Buffalo Shrimp Recipe is sure to satisfy your taste buds.
Ii. Ingredients For Buffalo Shrimp Recipe
When it comes to finger-licking, crowd-pleasing appetizers, Buffalo shrimp is a top favorite. The combination of succulent shrimp and spicy butter sauce creates a flavor explosion that is simply irresistible. In this section, we will explore the ingredients needed to make this mouthwatering Buffalo shrimp recipe. Get ready to tantalize your taste buds!
List Of All The Ingredients Needed For The Recipe
Here is a breakdown of all the ingredients required to make Buffalo shrimp:
For the shrimp:
- 1 pound of raw shrimp
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (adjust according to your spice preference)
For the Buffalo sauce:
- 1/2 cup of hot sauce (such as Frank’s RedHot)
- 4 tablespoons of unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 1/2 teaspoon of smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (adjust according to your spice preference)
- Blue cheese or ranch dressing for dipping
- Celery sticks or carrot sticks (optional)
These simple ingredients work together to create a tantalizing shrimp dish that will have your guests coming back for more.
Iii. Preparation Of Buffalo Shrimp Recipe
Preparation of the Buffalo Shrimp recipe involves deep frying succulent shrimp coated in seasoned flour, followed by tossing them in an extremely spicy butter sauce. This bar food favorite can now be easily made at home with homemade buffalo sauce for extra taste.
Now that you have gathered all the necessary ingredients for your delicious Buffalo Shrimp, it’s time to dive into the preparation process. Follow these step-by-step instructions to ensure you achieve mouthwatering results:
Step 1: Cleaning And Preparing The Shrimp
To start off, the most important step is to clean and prepare the shrimp properly. Follow these simple steps:
- First, remove the shell from the shrimp. You can leave the tail intact for a more aesthetic presentation.
- Using a small knife, make a shallow cut along the back of each shrimp and remove the black vein. This step is crucial to remove any grit and ensure a cleaner taste.
- Once you have deveined the shrimp, rinse them under cold water to remove any residual dirt. Pat them dry with a paper towel and set aside.
Step 2: Creating The Perfect Buffalo Sauce
Now that your shrimp are clean and ready, it’s time to prepare the iconic Buffalo sauce. Follow these instructions:
- In a mixing bowl, combine Frank’s hot sauce, honey, and a sprinkle of smoked paprika. Adjust the amount of hot sauce to your desired level of spiciness.
- Add a pinch of cayenne pepper for an extra kick if you’re feeling adventurous.
- Whisk all the ingredients together until well combined, creating a smooth and flavorful Buffalo sauce.
Step 3: Coating And Cooking The Shrimp
Now, it’s time to give the shrimp their crispy coating and cook them to perfection:
- Preheat your frying oil of choice to 350°F (180°C) in a deep fryer or a large pot.
- In a shallow dish, place seasoned flour. This can include a combination of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and any other desired spices.
- Using tongs, dip each shrimp into the flour mixture, ensuring they are evenly coated.
- Carefully place the coated shrimp into the preheated oil, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Fry the shrimp for about 3-4 minutes, or until they turn golden brown and crispy.
- Once cooked, remove the shrimp from the oil and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any excess oil.
Crispy on the outside and succulent on the inside, these fried Buffalo Shrimp are now ready to be bathed in that irresistible Buffalo sauce!
Remember, always exercise caution when working with hot oil to prevent any accidents or injuries.
Now that your Buffalo Shrimp are perfectly cooked and coated, all that’s left to do is enjoy them! Serve with your favorite dipping sauce, such as blue cheese dressing or ranch, and some celery sticks for a refreshing crunch. These shrimp make for a fantastic appetizer or a main course that will impress your friends and family.
Iv. Cooking Buffalo Shrimp
Now that you have gathered all the necessary ingredients and prepared the shrimp, it’s time to cook your buffalo shrimp. There are several different cooking methods and techniques you can use to achieve delicious and flavorful buffalo shrimp. Whether you prefer an air fryer, stovetop, or grilled method, each technique offers its own unique taste and texture.
Different Cooking Methods And Techniques For Buffalo Shrimp Recipe
Air Fryer Method
If you’re looking for a healthier alternative to deep-frying, the air fryer method is perfect for you. It allows you to achieve crispy buffalo shrimp without using excessive oil. Here’s how you can cook buffalo shrimp in an air fryer:
- Preheat the air fryer to 400°F (200°C).
- In a bowl, combine the shrimp with your desired seasonings and a small amount of oil.
- Place the shrimp in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Make sure not to overcrowd it.
- Cook for 5-7 minutes, flipping the shrimp halfway through, until they are golden brown and crispy.
- Remove the shrimp from the air fryer and toss them in buffalo sauce. Serve immediately.
The stovetop method is a classic way to cook buffalo shrimp. It allows you to have more control over the cooking process and the flavors. Follow these steps to cook buffalo shrimp on the stovetop:
- Heat a frying pan or skillet over medium-high heat and add a small amount of oil.
- Once the oil is hot, add the seasoned shrimp to the pan in a single layer.
- Cook the shrimp for 2-3 minutes on each side until they turn pink and opaque.
- Remove the shrimp from the pan and transfer them to a bowl.
- Toss the shrimp with the buffalo sauce until they are evenly coated.
If you’re a fan of smoky and charred flavors, then the grilled method is perfect for you. Grilling adds an extra layer of deliciousness to your buffalo shrimp. Here’s how you can grill buffalo shrimp:
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat.
- Thread the seasoned shrimp onto skewers, making sure to leave a small space between each shrimp.
- Place the shrimp skewers on the grill and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until they are pink and slightly charred.
- Remove the shrimp from the skewers and toss them in the buffalo sauce.
Whichever cooking method you choose, be sure to serve your buffalo shrimp immediately to enjoy them at their best. These crispy and flavorful shrimp make a great appetizer or even a main course. So, fire up your air fryer, stovetop, or grill, and get ready to indulge in some mouthwatering buffalo shrimp!
V. Serving And Pairing Options
This Buffalo Shrimp recipe is perfect for those who crave the heat. The succulent shrimp is coated in seasoned flour, deep-fried, and then coated in an extremely spicy butter sauce. Serve it as a bar food favorite or as a delicious appetizer at home.
Suggestions On How To Serve And Pair The Buffalo Shrimp
When it comes to serving and pairing options for Buffalo Shrimp, there are plenty of delicious combinations that will enhance the flavors and make your meal even more enjoyable. Here are some suggestions to consider:
Recommended Side Dishes, Dips, Or Sauces
Pairing your Buffalo Shrimp with the right side dishes, dips, or sauces can take your meal to the next level. Here are some options to consider:
- French fries: The crispy texture of french fries pairs perfectly with the spicy Buffalo Shrimp. Whether you prefer regular or seasoned fries, they make a satisfying and classic side dish.
- Celery and carrot sticks: To balance out the heat of the Buffalo Shrimp, serve them with fresh celery and carrot sticks. The crunchiness of the vegetables adds a refreshing element to the dish.
- Coleslaw: The creamy and tangy coleslaw complements the spicy flavor of the Buffalo Shrimp. Its cool and refreshing taste provides a nice contrast to the heat.
Dips And Sauces:
- Blue cheese dressing: A classic choice for Buffalo Shrimp, the rich and creamy blue cheese dressing pairs perfectly with the spicy shrimp. Its tangy flavor adds a delicious dimension to the dish.
- Ranch dressing: If you prefer a milder option, ranch dressing is a great choice. Its creamy and herb-infused taste complements the spiciness of the Buffalo Shrimp.
- Hot sauce: For those who can handle the heat, adding extra hot sauce to the Buffalo Shrimp can intensify the flavor. Choose your favorite hot sauce to drizzle over the shrimp for an extra kick.
Experimenting with different side dishes, dips, and sauces can help you find the perfect combination that suits your taste buds. Whether you prefer a classic pairing or want to get creative with your choices, the options are endless when it comes to serving and pairing Buffalo Shrimp.
Vi. Tips And Tricks For Perfect Buffalo Shrimp
Discover the ultimate tips and tricks for making perfect Buffalo Shrimp at home. This insanely flavorful dish features succulent shrimp coated in a spicy butter sauce, perfect for those who crave the heat.
Tips And Tricks To Ensure Crispy And Spicy Results
To achieve perfectly crispy and spicy buffalo shrimp, follow these tips and tricks:
- Double-coating: Double coat the shrimp by dipping them in the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, and back into the flour mixture. This will create a crispy outer layer that holds the spicy sauce well.
- Cornstarch: Add cornstarch to the flour mixture. Cornstarch helps create an extra crispy texture on the shrimp.
- Deep-frying: Deep-fry the shrimp until they turn golden brown. This ensures a crispy exterior while maintaining a tender and juicy inside.
- Spicy sauce: Use a combination of hot sauce, melted butter, and spices like cayenne pepper or smoked paprika to create a flavorful and spicy sauce that coats the shrimp evenly.
- Marinating: Marinate the shrimp in the spicy sauce for at least 30 minutes before coating and frying. This allows the flavors to infuse into the shrimp, resulting in a more flavorful dish.
- Timing: Be mindful of the cooking time. Overcooking the shrimp can make them tough and rubbery. Keep a close eye on the shrimp while frying and remove them from the oil as soon as they are golden brown.
Tips On How To Make The Shrimp Tender
To ensure tender and succulent shrimp, follow these tips:
- Brine: Brining the shrimp in a solution of saltwater for 15-30 minutes before cooking can help in tenderizing them and enhancing their flavor.
- Cooking time: Cook the shrimp briefly, just until they turn pink. Overcooking can result in chewy and rubbery shrimp.
- Gentle heat: Use medium-low heat while cooking the shrimp to prevent them from becoming tough.
- Citrus marinade: Marinating the shrimp in citrus juices like lemon or lime can help tenderize them due to the natural acidity present in the fruits.
- Butter or oil: Sauteing the shrimp in butter or oil can help maintain their tenderness and prevent them from drying out.
Vii. Healthier Alternatives And Variations
Enjoying the deliciousness of buffalo shrimp doesn’t have to mean sacrificing your health goals or missing out on exciting flavor variations. Here are some suggestions to make this recipe healthier or try different variations:
Suggestions For Making The Recipe Healthier
- Opt for air frying instead of deep frying: By using an air fryer, you can achieve the same crispy texture and flavor while significantly reducing the amount of oil used in the cooking process.
- Use whole wheat flour or almond flour: Substitute traditional all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour or almond flour to increase the fiber content and add a nutty flavor profile.
- Choose low-fat or Greek yogurt-based sauces: Replace heavy butter-based sauces with low-fat or Greek yogurt-based alternatives for a creamy, tangy twist that reduces the overall calorie and fat content.
- Control the spice level: Adjust the amount of hot sauce or cayenne pepper to suit your spice tolerance. You can also experiment with milder hot sauce options or incorporate other flavorful spices like smoked paprika or garlic powder.
- Opt for lean shrimp options: Look for sustainably sourced shrimp with low-fat content to further reduce the calorie and fat intake of the dish.
Different Variations To Try
Embrace your culinary creativity by trying out these exciting variations of the classic buffalo shrimp recipe:
- Grilled Buffalo Shrimp: Instead of frying, marinate the shrimp in buffalo sauce and then grill them for a smoky and charred flavor.
- Buffalo Shrimp Pasta: Toss the cooked buffalo shrimp with al dente pasta, fresh vegetables, and a light sauce for a satisfying and flavorful pasta dish.
- Not Fried Buffalo Shrimp: Enjoy a healthier twist by baking the shrimp coated in buffalo sauce for a crunchy exterior without the excess oil.
- Buffalo Shrimp Lettuce Wraps: Serve the buffalo shrimp in fresh lettuce leaves with crunchy vegetables and a yogurt-based dressing for a delicious and low-carb meal option.
Remember, these suggestions and variations allow you to customize the buffalo shrimp recipe to your preferences and dietary needs, while still savoring the bold and spicy flavors that make it a favorite dish.
Frequently Asked Questions On Buffalo Shrimp Recipe
Why Do You Soak Shrimp Before Cooking?
Soaking shrimp before cooking helps to remove any impurities and enhances its texture and flavor.
How To Make Shrimp Very Tender?
To make shrimp very tender, follow these steps: – Briefly marinate shrimp in lemon juice or buttermilk for 15-30 minutes. – Cook shrimp for a short time, usually 2-3 minutes per side, until just opaque. – Avoid overcooking shrimp, as it can make them tough and rubbery.
– Remove shrimp from heat as soon as they turn pink and opaque. – Immediately transfer cooked shrimp to an ice bath to stop the cooking process.
How Many Calories Does Buffalo Shrimp Have?
Buffalo shrimp typically contains around 150-200 calories.
Why Do You Put Cornstarch On Shrimp?
The cornstarch helps create a crispy batter when frying shrimp, making it more delicious than using flour. Coating the shrimp in cornstarch mixed with egg white creates a batter similar to beer batter. It takes a little longer to brown, but the extra crispy texture is worth it.
If you’re craving a spicy and flavorful dish, look no further than this Buffalo Shrimp recipe. The succulent shrimp are coated in a seasoned flour and deep-fried to perfection. Then, they are covered in an extremely spicy butter sauce that will satisfy all your heat cravings.
This bar food favorite can now be enjoyed in the comfort of your own home. With just a few ingredients, you can recreate this delicious dish and impress your friends and family. So why wait? Give this recipe a try and indulge in the mouthwatering flavors of Buffalo Shrimp today.
As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases